About the Braddock Carnegie Library and Music Hall
The Braddock Carnegie Library in Braddock, Pennsylvania, is the first Carnegie Library in the United States. Designed by William Halsey Wood in eclectic medieval style, it was built in 1888 and dedicated by Andrew Carnegie on March 30, 1889. An addition in more Richardson Romanesque style by Longfellow, Alden & Harlow (successors to HH Richardson) was added in 1893.
The library was named a National Historic Landmark in 2012, following its listing on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973 and is on the Pittsburgh History and Landmarks Foundation’s List of Historic Landmarks.
Currently, library services for adults have largely moved to the first floor, while a new Children’s Library opened in March, 2012 on the second floor. In addition to offering classes, the pottery studio also produces ceramic water filters for a program that works to improve public health in third-world countries. Work on the Music Hall continues, with restoration of the original 1893 seats the current focus.